Thursday, August 11, 2011

Southwestern Eggroll Recipe

Happy Thursday Friends,

Two days ago, I attempted to create a healthier/yummier/easier/cheaper version of Chili's Southwestern Eggrolls.  I'm not sure I succeeded completely (maybe they turned out equally delicious rather than more so, and it took more effort than ordering take-out).  Nevertheless, I think the process and the outcome were both rewarding.  I did not add any meat, but chicken could easily be added at whatever step you wish.  I found them to be amazing without it.

Southwestern Fakerolls

Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped
1 large red pepper, chopped
2 jalapenos, diced
15oz can of corn, drained and rinsed (I actually used 2 cobs of freshly cut corn from the farmers market and it was amazing)
15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
15oz can of green chile enchilada sauce
1 bunch of cilantro, torn or cut into small pieces
1 cup pre-cooked brown rice
Cumin and Cayenne pepper to taste (or your own favorite taco seasoning)
1 tbsp olive oil
Eggroll wrappers (a bit bigger than wonton wrappers and can be found in the refrigerated section of most stores)
Pepper jack cheese (I used rice cheese to avoid dairy)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
Add onion, red pepper, and jalapenos to pan and saute/soften for a few minutes.
Add black beans, corn, green chile, rice, seasoning, and cilantro (to taste) and cook until thickened.

In the meantime, spray a large baking sheet with Pam (or Pam alternative).
Open the eggroll wrappers, grab your cheese, and prepare a little place for the wrapping activity to occur.

When the eggroll stuffing is thickened, lay an eggroll wrapper out, place your cheese along the diagonal, and spoon 2 to 3 heaping spoonfuls across the top of the cheese (the eggroll wrapper should be laid out like this <> and you put the filling in the middle).

Now roll it up (the package should have instructions for this).  I folded in the sides and then wrapped the top and bottom across the sides, using water to stick the edges together.
Place the roll on the greased baking sheet.
Continue to roll until all your filling is done (I ended up with 14 rolls).
Spray the tops of the rolls with Pam to aid with crisping (I actually didn't have any and they turned out fine, but I think they would be even better this way).
Place in the oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

I found the rolls were amazing without any sauce, but you could easily dip into salsa or ranch dressing for an added oomph.

If you try them, I hope you find them as delicious as I did.  I completely made up the recipe, so I imagine you will come up with something even better than I have!  Let me know what you do to make this better.

Much love,
Amber

No comments: