Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Desiree in DC

Dear Friends,

This past weekend was rather great.  I was honored with the presence of soon-Dr. Desiree in my area of the world.  She swooped into town Friday night after only three hours in transit (it will never be that short for me, as I am always going the wrong way with traffic).  She brought along cuddly and sweet Kya, the yellow lab, for our weekend mis-adventure.
Although cuddly, Desiree is not Kya. Kya's in yellow.

We went to downtown Bethesda for a late dinner and drink, talked for a while, and then headed to bed.

Saturday morning, at the lovely hour of 6am, Desiree bounded into my bed to welcome the day...I groaned and drug my tired bootie to get ready.  After returning ourselves to our normal beautiful state, we ventured to Starbucks and hit the metro (subway) down to Alexandria, VA.  Our mutual friend, Kristi, picked us up, delivered us to Starbucks numero dos of our day, and showed us around Old Town Alexandria.
Kristi.

From there we visited Arlington National Cemetery.  It is an amazingly beautiful, austere, and humbling place. We were lucky enough to witness the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.  I haven't witnessed so many people standing quietly and respectfully in a long time.

Next, we visited Ray's Hell Burger, a favorite of President Obama, for burgers, sweet potato fries, and vanilla milkshakes.  My hands were too greasy and happy to take pictures.  From there we moved to the mall and the Smithsonian Museum of American History.

After braving the crowds in the museum, we made our way back to Bethesda, my apartment, and dinner out on the big town.  We dined on seafood, multiple bottles of wine, and drinks out afterwards.  Without divulging very secretive discussions of our future bestselling books, I will say we had a fabulous evening.
Deep discussion!
Beeee-utiful!
After dinner, we retired to my abode for some shenanigans and wine aplenty.  Then we slept soundly.  Both Desiree and Kristi had to sleep on the recliners in the living room as I severely lack guest-roomage.  Then Sunday involved a lot of nothing.  Kristi left for a brunch.  Desiree and I watched a marathon of Jerseylicious. Then she headed home.  Overall, it was a brilliant weekend, one I badly needed.  This weekend: KC!

Much love friends,
Amber

No comments: