Thursday, September 29, 2011

New book coming out

The Secret Lives of Wives: Women Share What It Really Takes To Stay Married

"The happiest wives have a sense of purpose and passion in work and causes outside of the home. Wives who counted on a spouse for fulfillment and sustenance were often angry and lonely. And the happiest wives don't spend a whole lot of time with their husbands. My chapter called Separate Summers is filled with women who take their own vacations, take their own summers, take charge of their own lives. Couples who allow each other to grow separately are the ones with the best chance of growing together and staying together.

Finally, the wives with the highest marital satisfaction have a tight circle of wild women friends with whom to drink, travel and vent about their husbands."


I cannot say whether I am excited about this book or whether I am only intrigued by it, but I plan on reading it.  The cynicism and slight negativity that seems pervasive in the author's, Iris Krasnow, discussion of the book (see the link below for the full details) turns me off.  But her technique in researching an interesting topic by interviewing multiple people is a large component of my plans for my future writing.  Reading people who do such things already seems to be an important step in my development.  


I'm also compelled to learn more about this whole marriage thing.  Although I'm around married people often, I definitely feel like a novice on the subject.  Maybe learning what "normal" secretive thoughts go through married women's heads is a great way to prepare for my future...or scare me away from the endeavor entirely.  Either way, I will be perusing the digital pages of this one soon.


http://www.huffingtonpost.com/iris-krasnow/the-fine-line-between-mar_b_959372.html?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk2|99266


Much love friends.
Amber

No comments: