Sunday, July 1, 2012

Derecho me crazy!

I don't know if my title even makes any sense, but I recently experienced my first (and hopefully only) storm called a derecho.  In Spanish, derecho apparently means some form of "straight."  Consequently, this storm was made of straight line, sustained winds of 70+ miles per hour.

Lucky for me, I was in Roanoke, VA visiting my best friend when the storm moved in.  My best friend maintained power, although a great many other people in SW VA did not.  DC was hit just as hard, or harder.  A couple million people were without power at a time when the thermometer has been hitting 100 degrees during the daytime hours.  The conservative estimate of my power being turned on, both at my apartment and my office, is Friday evening...5 days from now, and 7 days after the initial storm.

Luckily, I fly out for a 4th of July holiday on Wednesday to visit North Dakota.  In the meantime though, I'm infringing upon my best friend.  I now have to decide whether I head back tomorrow or not.  I really don't like sleeping in my apartment with no AC and no fan.

That's the most I've got to share right now!  I'm exceptionally lucky to have such an amazing friend who takes me in without reservations.

Love you all!
Amber

No comments: